Becoming a participant is quite simple. Your background needs to meet the minimum requirements of employers in terms of training or experience in the following fields, be unemployed and looking for a job, and be referred by a career counselor at Emploi-Québec. (Note: Different conditions apply in other provinces.):
- Secretarial Work / Office Systems Technology
- Computer Work (Networks, Technical Support)
- Graphic Arts / Multimedia
- Human Resources
- Communication / Public Relations
- Writing / Translation
- Archive Management
- Other professions that can be simulated in an office work environment.
As they are spending 12 to 15 weeks in the practice firm, 35h a week, internships are the equivalent of a full time job. As these internship are not paid, participants continue to benefit from their employment assistance and EI benefits, and might get some additional financial support. The following services are also offered:
- A skills summary and a personalized skills improvement program;
- A concrete work experience, in an international trade setting;
- Computer and linguistic skills, specific to the profession;
- Employment Counselling (training sessions, job search and interview techniques, writing of a resume and other job search documents, etc.)
- The fine-tuning of professional attitudes (self-confidence, team spirit and initiative, communication, etc.)
- Personalized, professional support, offered throughout all the program’s activities
To find the nearest practice firm, please consult the members list.
Colleges and institutions provide, to support educational activities, a simulated business, the pedagogical practice firm (PPF) that is set up and run by students to prepare them for working in a real business. Complement to regular programs, such as Business Administration, Accounting, Office Management, the pedagogical practice firm enables students to gain knowledge and experience in entrepreneurship, as well as administration.
The PPF aims, through different activities, to get students to enable the acquisition and integration of knowledge and skills related to management, sales, marketing and marketing a business through simulation of commercial transactions through a global network. Among others, participation in Canadian Practice Firms Fair gives students the opportunity to apply marketing techniques in a second language is English.
Some specific objectives of the pedagogical practice firm are:
- enable students to play an active role in their learning;
- allow them to be stimulated by the discovery, the opportunity to express their choice, creativity and individuality;
- involve students in management and accounting activities of a company;
- give meaning to learning;
- achieve high-level objectives for success and graduation, retention of students in the programs and the integration of skills.
- reignite their interest in education, and raises their desire to graduate and pursue lifelong learning.
Are you an employer looking for experienced candidates available and motivated? The practice firms can help you find hidden gems!
Trainers and permanent staff in the practice firms know personally and professionally, each of the participants as they have supervised them for a number of weeks in a business environment. They can therefore refer candidates that perfectly match your requirements, and all, for free!
Check with the nearest practice firm to know the candidates that will eventually work for you!
For an employer, hiring an employee from a practice firm ensures that he will be in presence of candidates that are motivated to return to work, up-to-date in their fields, and willing to contribute to the success of your business upon hiring. Benefits for employers:
- selection of experienced, qualified and operational workers who have been mentored and trained to the latest technologies used today;
- who were monitored and supervised to ensure they adopt attitudes and appropriate behaviors in the workplace;
- a workforce that is highly motivated and available to work immediately;
- the use of screening services from the practice firm which reduces recruitment costs and efforts by access to short-listed candidates bank;
- services are free!